The primary responsibility of the Mechanical Engineer – Construction is jobs related to surveying of construction sites and design of structures.
The Mechanical Engineer – Construction manages the planning, design, construction and maintenance of various mechanical systems in buildings and structures; ensures compliance with relevant building codes and safety regulations.
A typical job description for the Mechanical Engineer – Construction role may include:
- Designs, develops, and tests all aspects of mechanical components, equipment, and machinery.
- Applies knowledge of engineering principles to design products such as engines, instruments, controls, robots, machines, etc.
- May be involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, and/or repair of mechanical products.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering and 4-6 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Performs a variety of complicated tasks.
- May report to an executive or a manager.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
The Mechanical Engineer – Construction typically serves as member of team leadership and is considered a technical professional within the organization. As such, the Mechanical Engineer – Construction provides difficult technical tasks. The organization will depend on this person's implementation experience. The Mechanical Engineer – Construction generally is responsible for self-sufficiency. As such, the Mechanical Engineer – Construction provides small project responsibility. The organization will depend on this person's technical supervision.
Mechanical Engineer – Construction Job Responsibilities
The Mechanical Engineer – Construction generally has the following responsibilities:
- Manages the planning, design, construction and maintenance of various mechanical systems, including Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and rain gutter systems, in buildings and structures.
- Performs the evaluation and inspection of mechanical engineering projects to ensure that standards and requirements are met.
- Prepares, maintains and reviews technical documentation, such as drawings and specifications, for mechanical engineering projects.
- Follows applicable building codes and safety regulations in mechanical engineering.
Mechanical Engineer – Construction Competencies
The complete Mechanical Engineer – Construction Manager's Guide includes the 32 key competencies expected of Mechanical Engineer – Construction. The report defines each Competency in detail. The report also explains what level of proficiency Mechanical Engineer – Construction should have in that Competency, as well as how important that Competency is to performing the role well.