Orbital ATK is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer (E2) for its Plymouth, MN location.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12, 000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK’s Armament Systems Division has an exciting position for a Mechanical Design Engineer located at our facility in Plymouth, MN. As a Mechanical Design Engineer your responsibilities will be as a technical contributor on various product development or production programs. You will work with other engineers, technicians, program managers and administrative personnel to accomplish your objectives.
- Provide technical solutions to a moderate range of challenging problems. Solutions are creative, practical, and consistent with organization objectives.
- Using computer-aided design tools develop preliminary design layouts, sketches, and notes necessary to present design proposal. Make layouts of complex assemblies and detail parts of devices, mechanisms, and structures.
- Check completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness, conformity to standards, procedures, specifications, and accuracy of calculations and dimensioning.
- Investigate pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials and equipment, interchangeability, safety, strength-weight efficiency, contractual specification requirements and cost.
- Compile and analyze test data to determine effect of design on products, systems, or equipment in relation to factors such as temperature, pressure, energy and material properties.
- Develop specifications for selecting components and equipment to use.
- Document and present design, manufacturing and testing status as needed.
- Work closely with manufacturers to ensure that design intent is met in manufacturing of parts.
- Consistently exercise discretion and independent judgment in performing work. Follow established procedures.